Scholarships and Awards
Of the scholarships and awards in the College of Humanities and Sciences database, the following are offered to undergraduate students through the biology department. They are supported by, or endowed in honor of, alums and former members of our faculty, in a tangible representation of their deep commitment to VCU and to biology as discipline.
- Charles and Leann Blem Scholarship in Biology: This scholarship is awarded to a rising junior or senior who is majoring in biology with specific interest in vertebrates, vertebrate ecology or vertebrate anatomy. The scholarship may also be awarded to a student who has done research in the Department of Biology with emphasis in those areas; a pre-veterinary or professional student who plans to attend graduate school; or any athletes who are biology majors. Students who have received guaranteed medical school admission or other scholarship awards are ineligible.
- Kelly Marie York Scholarship: This scholarship was created by family and friends in memory of Kelly Marie York, who was a biology major at VCU. This scholarship will provide support to a transfer student pursuing an undergraduate degree in biology in the Department of Biology. Preference will be given to a transfer student with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. Transfer students must be from a Virginia college or university and transfer a minimum of 30 credit hours.
- Lewis C. Goldstein Award of Excellence: The endowment honors Professor Emeritus Dr. Lewis C. Goldstein. Dr. Goldstein joined the faculty of Richmond Professional Institute in 1955 and taught at the school for over three decades. The Lewis C. Goldstein Award of Excellence is awarded annually to a rising sophomore, junior or senior majoring in biology.
- Miles F. Johnson Award of Excellence: The award was established in 2008 through a gift from Dr. Miles F. Johnson, professor emeritus and former chair of the Department of Biology. The scholarship will be awarded to a student majoring in biology.
- Nguyen-Ninh Partial Scholarship: Awarded to a rising junior or senior who is majoring in biology, this scholarship was established by Duc T. and Hang N. Nguyen to honor the faculty dedication, guidance, teaching, and excellent education in biology received by their sons, Eric N.D. Nguyen (‘08) and Don N. Nguyen (’09). The Nguyens’ gift is made in the spirit of helping other well-deserving VCU students to experience similar educational opportunities.
- Turner-Silverman Professional Development Fund: The fund was created to provide financial support to undergraduate students who are rising sophomores, juniors and seniors in the Department of Biology. The fund shall provide support for student professional development opportunities such as attendance at professional conferences or to gain membership in professional organizations. The award may cover registration fees and travel related costs as funds permit. More than one student may receive this financial award should funds allow. The committee may consider additional professional development opportunities and shall determine the number of awards. Preference shall go to students in good academic standing who have financial need.
- Wyatt Family Scholarship: The scholarship, established in 2021, will provide annual scholarship support to a student in the VCU Department of Biology. Preference will be given to undergraduate students with an interest in pre-medicine who are residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
In addition to the monetary awards and scholarships described on this page, the Department of Biology also recognizes exceptional students annually with non-monetary awards and honors. Visit the Student Awards page for more details and information on how to apply.